Friends, today I am going to share how to create sitemap for blogger blog. Sitemaps help search engines better index your blog. Sitemaps are supported by all major search engines including Google, Yahoo, Bing, Baidu, Yandex and other search engine.
What is a Sitemap?
A Sitemap is a simple XML file that lists out the URLs of the site. Sitemap helps webmasters in including more details about the site such as its last updated date, its connection with other URLs in the website. This makes the search engines to crawl the websites more easily and wisely.
How to Create Sitemap for Blogger
Creating sitemap is very simple and this sitemap works for both self-hosted Blogger blogs and other normal Blogger blogs. Just use this (atom.xml?redirect=false&start-index=1&max-results=500 Or feeds/posts/default?orderby=UPDATED) next to your blogs URL. See example below.
- Sitemap: http://www.yourblogname.com/atom.xml?redirect=false&start-index=1&max-results=500
- Sitemap: http://www.yourblogname.com/feeds/posts/default?orderby=UPDATED
Now you have created sitemap for your Blogger blog, but you need to tell search engines about your sitemap so that bots can know your site structure. There are two ways to tell search engines about your sitemap.
- Showing your sitemap in robots.txt file.
- Submitting your sitemaps in Google webmaster tools.
Adding your Blogger sitemap in robots.txt file
- Go to your blogger blog.
- Navigate to Settings >> Search Preferences ›› Crawlers and indexing ›› Custom robots.txt ›› Edit ›› Yes.
- Now paste the following code in the box:
- Change yourblogname with your blog name in Blogger Sitemap.
- Click save changes.
- Now search engines crawls your site they will access your Blogger sitemap from robots.txt file.
Submitting your Blogger sitemap in Google webmaster tools
- Sign in to Google Webmaster Tools.
- Click on the blog title for which you want to add sitemap.
- Click on Sitemaps button.
- At the top right corner of the page, press Add/Test sitemap button.
- Add the below code in the text field.
- If your blog have lots of pages, add the sitemaps below:
- Press “Submit Sitemap” button.
- Refresh the page.
- Congratulation! You have finished the process of submitting your blog sitemap.
This was the step by step guide on how to create sitemap for blogger blog. If you face any problem, please feel free to share with us in the comments. Thanks to read the post How to Create Sitemap for Blogger Blog.